The Net Age

Monday, June 16, 2008

ADSL Modem and Netgear Wireless router - comm. problems

Let me explain in short the topology and then problem.

I have a ADSL2+ USRobotics 9112 Modem Ethernet/USB Router. It is connected, through ethernet to WAN, to a Netgear 54Mbps Wireless Router.

The problem: Every time there was a bit more traffic than normal, at unsuspected time the Internet was unreachable(as if it were disconnected). Further testing is required for me to go into details on what lights were turning to yellow and flashing... anyway... the many affect was the same.. no Internet until it reset its' self or you powered on and off the modem.

The solution: The solution that worked for me at least, was to lower the MTU Size. By default this is set to 1500. When I set it to 1492 the Netgear router would not talk with the ADSL modem and the link had a yellow led. When I lowered it again to 1450 'for PPTP connections' (as mentioned by Netgear help) everything worked again.

After a while with this setting (MTU Size at 1450), I can say that it has corrected the problem there have not been any problems with the Internet disconnecting or not operating for an known reasons.

Good luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home